Monday, February 14, 2011

valentine's day

"Because I have not given you anything for a long time and because you never ask for anything...Happy Valentine's day" and he produces two black Macys box, which hosts two exquisite pieces of jewelery. I was astounded, bewildered, flabbergasted, and all other synonyms that would surmise my unadulterated, catapulting surprise at this utterly unexpected indulgence. Part of me wanted to cry because it felt like I should. But how would that look! 'Is it that ugly?' Indeed not. But it definitely felt like a "Will you marry me moment?" And you know folks I have always felt a little cheated on the proposal front. (My parents proposed his parents for our marriage when we were youngsters. thassit. End of story.) Hence, our marriage was desperately lacking a bend on your knees anecdote. We owed it to ourselves. Well, yesterday night's moment filled in for that missing pair of shoe.

Now to churn out a few pearls of wisdom on Valentine's day, and I shall do this without drawing attention to the fact that I know nothing about love but since I am now formally anointed to the elite group of castaways, The Married People, and perhaps before long it would be 2042 when I will be a soccer mom driving a Volvo full of caterwauling genetic offshoots, let me say that Love--
  • isn't what you think.
  • it's not ancient Greek drama, hence has no beginning, middle, and end.
  • and no, Hugh Hefner and Crystal Harris don't share love; not even Love's impostor. 


Foot Note:
Hugh Hefner is the 84 year old owner of the billion dollar industry, PlayBoy. and Crystal Harris is a 24 year old super model who is marrying him for "love." of course.










    2 comments:

    Joychaser said...

    aw. glad you got your "but-i-want-to-be-loved-to-distraction" fix for 14th feb. :) i firmly believe that every girl deserves it.

    Unknown said...

    aww....such a delightful gift for valentine's...'loved' the way you explained 'love'... :)