Monday, March 22, 2010

work

I didn't get admissions to a doctoral program this year. And amazingly I wasn't exactly sad. I was disappointed, yes. The only time I cried was when I didn't get accepted in Cornell. That's because Cornell was my last hope, my ticket to get the hell out of NY. I can't tell you how important it is/was that it happened. NY with all its colors, all the vibrancy, all the Empire State of minds couldn't fool me. Wish it could. Anyway, so every grad school I applied to for a PhD program this Fall, rejected me. And all of them regretted. "We regret to inform..." Don't regret. Just take me. But of course, they let me go. Kind of like a sad end to a love story.
Anyway, so I am applying to some places for a job in case I might fish one out from this market. I need a job to keep me company for just a year, after which I shall repeat the whole process of applying to a grad school. So a contract job for a year, that's what I need. No strings attached. A par-time lover? The fuckbuddy of jobs.
The other day I came across a copy writing job. I officially have never worked as a copywriter before. But I have a very strong intuition that I will master it. I have had done some freelance work twice before. Not much to include in a resume or a cover letter. But enough to feel safe and protected by. I can handle it, I tell myself. So, I was applying for a job completely out of my league- a Senior Copywriter, which offered quite a fat lump of compensation. I thought to myself, why not take a shot at it. Just for the humor. I mean no harm sending a resume and cover letter. And in my cover letter, I decided to be super cocky and aggressive. It was a misdirected attempt to stand out in the crowd. Holler a lot! Just grab the attention, and trap them into offering you an interview. And after that be fascinating if not convincing. Or else, be a delightful confusion. Of course, all this applies only if you know nothing about what the job demands. Since, I had no copies to impress them by, I decided to be the cockiest, inexperienced, unemployed copy writer out there. Anyway, I haven't heard from the company yet. In the meanwhile I called up my professional copy writer friend back in India, and did what I can only think as a crash-call to know "everything about copy writing but was afraid to ask".
Hope no prospective boss of mine ever reads this post. That's the upside to having an unpopular blog :)

3 comments:

Engee said...

Wow, this sounds terribly familiar. You always know a rejection letter because they are the thin, lame ones. I took all my rejection letters and made a papier mache thingie out of them - a university symbol which said V for victory - kind of sad, I'll admit, but it cheered me up then. Oh and I worked as a copywriter as well, remember? Copywriters are a pretty cocky bunch anyway, so you never know. Best of luck. And sometimes rejection is the best thing that could happen to you. :) (word verification is something delightful - "maddle")

fisherwoman said...

Thanks Nany, for the encouragement :) I sure need some now.

Anonymous said...

It sucks to be born into this time period where every goal is almost impossible to reach. My mom tells me that you can apply that philosophy to anything and that I should just suck it up. I don't know...I hope you don't need for me to tell you that you are an intelligent woman and that you will receive your PHD. It's only a matter of how soon that will be. But I love your insistence! Let me know if you got the job...
Also, don't leave NY. At least, don't leave until we get a chance to hang out. =)